Monday, January 21, 2013

Prayer time

On Friday, I decided that on my way home from work I would challenge myself to spend the entire hour's drive home praying.

When I pray, it's usually a quick plea for help or a prayer for someone's needs. I haven't had a long prayer time in, well, quite a while.

Before going home, I figured that this would be a real challenge. I wouldn't have anything to listen to, and I didn't know what I was going to talk about for an entire hour. I thought it might be one of the longest drives home that I'd have.

However, I ended up going through my family and friends, praying about each person's needs and thanking God for the people he's brought into my life. I prayed about everything from divorce to health issues to faith struggles.

And the miles just melted away. I think I could have kept going for even longer.

It's such an amazing experience when you realize that you're talking to God - who's sitting on top of the universe. He has such big eyes and big hands, and his ears are just as large. I'm so thankful that God listens to what I have to say, and he not only listens but I know he'll take care of it. I can just pass everything off in to his hands.

What's interesting, too, is on Sunday the pastor preached about the need to schedule regular devotion and prayer time each day. It's one of those times that I think God is trying to impress upon me that it is something I really do need in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment