Monday, January 16, 2012

The words of others

I read an article last Friday that had a variety of quotes that were really interesting. Most were about business, but a few expanded into different areas of life.

One of the quotes that really struck me was: “If you live like there’s no God, you’d better be right.”

I didn’t write down who the quote was by, but I don’t think it really matters who said it. It’s powerful whether it was a person ruling a country or someone begging on the street.

We don’t have any assurances of what happens after death except for faith in our beliefs. I believe that people will end up in either heaven or hell — depending on if they believe in the redemptive work of Christ who died for our sins or not.

Those who don’t believe in God, they have a lot to lose. I know that they’re not right, but if those people have any doubt about whether they are correct or not, they better get their facts straight. There are some big consequences.

My mom sent me this quote today: “Christians seem to have the amazing ability to say the most wonderful things without actually believing them.”

Ouch.

As a writer, I have thought about this before. It’s really easy to use flowery words and make wonderful statements that deeply impact people. Writers - and eloquent speakers - can make create fiction that sounds so good it seems real.

I have noticed this in church before too, during sermons or when reading Christian books. Some statements sound so good, yet you can kind of tell that the person speaking them doesn’t believe them enough to follow them.

I’m guilty of making beautiful statements, and even though I believe them, I don’t follow through on them.

It doesn’t matter what we say, it matters what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment