Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 7: Sleep

Someone posted on Facebook this morning that they were thankful for a comfortable, warm bed to sleep in and the ability to get up from that bed in the morning.

I've admitted before that I love sleep, maybe even a little too much. I am cold quite often, and when I finally get warm in bed, it's hard for me to get out of it. However, I am also thankful that I am healthy and able to get up each day.

I am also thankful not only for the bed I sleep in but for sleep itself. I have another Facebook friend that suffered from breast cancer, at my age. She posted quite often in the middle of the night as she suffered from insomnia, sleeping it appeared only an hour or two per night, if at all.

There have been very few times in my life that I wanted to sleep and couldn't. Most often, I want to stay awake and end up falling asleep on the couch. I can sleep almost anywhere, from cars to planes to couches to floors. If I close my eyes long enough, I can probably fall asleep.

Not being able to sleep is awful. It's something that you know your body needs to survive, and you feel miserable without enough of it. Yet, the physical inability to provide yourself with that need would be horrible, especially for a long period of time.

So, simple as it is, I am thankful for the ability to go to sleep each night and to sleep restfully once I fall into slumberland.

No comments:

Post a Comment