Monday, October 1, 2012

My husband is a real man

I can't believe it was three weeks ago today that we were flying back to Miami from St. Lucia. In some ways it feels a long time ago, and in some ways it seems like just a couple days ago.

Perhaps it's time though that I start talking about real life, not our escape from reality in St. Lucia.

Side note: Our trip back to the airport was in an air-conditioned bus with other resort guests, so it went much more smoothly than the trip to the resort!

Reality hit right when we got back home. We got back at almost midnight on Tuesday, and I started work the next morning. I didn't have much time to catch up as I started teaching dance on Thursday, and Nate ended up getting sick so we didn't get any packing done before we moved on Saturday. Then on Saturday, the sickness hit me and got worse as the horrible moving process just kept droning on.

I've known for a long time that I'm a sick weenie and Nate is a tough sick guy, but the moving process told me even more about it. When I woke up on Sunday morning and felt horrible, I just asked Nate if I could stay and unpack while he finished moving everything else, and he agreed.

However, he had felt sick the day before and didn't complain once when we were moving, and he even moved all the heavy stuff. He has back soreness and he moved a couch all by himself without saying a word.

I have one tough man, and I'm so thankful for the true grit in him that makes him suck it up and do over-and-beyond what his duties are.

As I watch TV shows, I think that real men are lacking as role models in the media. Most men on TV are soft, feminine and push-overs. The women are often domineering and walk all over men, who take it. It's probably a true reflection of our society, but I don't think it's right.

Men should be tough enough to take charge. They should suck it up when they have duties and promises to keep. They should be men of courage and men of their word.

I'm thankful that I have a husband who is a real man. Even when real life hits and troubles arise, I know that my man is there to take them on with me by his side.

No comments:

Post a Comment