Friday, February 11, 2011

An ugly little bug

Like gnats in summer, an ugly little bug attacks all of us at some time or another.

Gnats tend to like some people more than others, and this ugly little bug also likes to attack some more than others.

STRESS!

The words, "I'm stressed out," come out of my mouth quite frequently.

I think I have seen Nate stressed twice since we have been together - in the past seven years. I can see each time perfectly clear.

I don't know why I get so stressed out so easily. I think it has to do with the fact that I am a planner and a slight perfectionist.

When I have a full slate at work, I am not comfortable until everything is done, and done early. I hate it when people don't call until the last minute. In fact, I can't wait until people call at the last minute. If I don't hear from someone, I will go on to another story and end up doing two if the first person does decide to call. I won't risk not getting my work done.

This week I had 12 stories to write (as well as photos to get) and a community guide to do. I told myself though that I wasn't going to get stressed out. I asked God to let everything go smoothly, and I decided to just take it one day at a time.

Guess what?

I got everything done, and everything done on time.

I was quite pleased with myself for not freaking out, and it made this week so much more enjoyable.

Stress is really just a symptom of worry. The Bible tells us not to worry, and it makes sense because we only worry about things that are beyond our control. If something is beyond our control, our worry doesn't do one thing except make us sick and stressed out.

Trusting God is really the only way to go - trusting God and taking your day one moment at a time.

I just hope the next time my plate is incredibly full I will remember this.

No comments:

Post a Comment