Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Family connections

Well, to catch you all up, because I left the last post a little frustrated - thank God for a wonderfully relaxing weekend :)

In college, every once in a while I would get a 7:30 a.m. wake up call from my dad. He goes to work about 5:30 every day, so 7:30 a.m. seems late to him, yet extremely early to me.

He listens a lot to Christian radio when he's at work, so he often hears sermons or shows that bring up ideas he wants to share with his loved ones.

Those early morning wake up calls, which didn't actually happen all that often, were him wanting to share a profound thought with me.

I remember sitting out in the hallway with my squinty sleep eyes, listening to my dad's deep words.

He gave me another call today, although thankfully it wasn't quite that early, to share a deep thought.

We talked about how friends and whether we let non-Christian friends influence us or whether our influence extends to them. We got on to other topics like people pleasing and other stuff.

My dad is simple but has deep thoughts. He is quiet but that hides a beautiful mind and heart. I love that we can talk and that he calls me to talk about spiritual ideas.

I have talks with my dad and my mom, and I really appreciate that we can have those strong family connections that stretch beyond blood ties and love for each other, into spiritual relationships. Those can be some of the strongest bonds, and I love that we have all of those connections together.

I'm so glad that my parents raised me with a love for God, and I'm thankful that we have such great family connections.

I look up to both my parents and their relationships with God.

Thanks dad and mom for giving me all that you have, emotionally, physically and spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment