Friday, August 26, 2011

The moments you remember

One of my favorite book series growing up was the Grandma's Attic series by Arleta Richardson.

Some of the books tell stories about a young girl named Mabel and her best friend, Sarah Jane, growing up after the Civil War.

A following series, that I still treasure and read, follows Mabel as she attends high school, teaches, gets married and has a family.

I just finished the series and read the author's note at the back of the book. Richardson, who is Mabel's granddaughter, talked about the stories. Many of the stories are everyday moments, yet it is the times that are looked back on with fondest when one grows old.

Whether it's the time that she went to the county fair, the ice cream social, berry picking, the wedding of friends - simple times are the ones that Mabel remembered when she reached 90 years old.

I wonder what I will look back on when I get old. I also wonder how I will be remembered when I die. Sometimes I think about what people would say if I died today. How much of a difference have I really made in people's lives.

Live your life in a way that you will remember and be proud of when you get old.

No comments:

Post a Comment