Friday, August 19, 2011

Phobias

I have irrational fear of snakes. I think I've told you this before.

It went so far that when I shelved books at a previous job in a library, I would try to leave the snake books for someone else to put away. Otherwise, I would just hold the books by the binding so I didn't have to touch the disgusting snakes curled up on the cover.

It's normal to be scared of some things, but phobias are irrational fears. Do you have a kind of phobia that haunts you day by day?

If not, you might find some of these fun:
Monophobia: Being alone
Myrmecophobia: Ants
Phalacrophobia: Becoming bald
Hemophobia: Blood
Coimetrophobia: Cemeteries
Enochlophobia: Crowds
Chorophobia: Dancing
Thanatophobia: Death or dying
Ichthyophobia: Fish
Philemaphobia: Kissing
Limnophobia: Lakes
Gamophobia: Marriage
Onomatophobia: Names or hearing a certain name
Soceraphobia: Parents-in-law
Ophidiophobia: Snakes
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia: Long words

I always thought the names of phobias were intersting. I guess the doctors who came up with them had some fun with it too - the people who have a phobia of long words would be terrified to say what they were diagnosed with!

(Source: Phobialist.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment