Friday, July 15, 2011

The right timing

Back to my reading in 1 Samuel.

In chapter 13, Saul is supposed to wait for Samuel to come and make a burnt offering. However, when Samuel doesn't show at the specified time, Saul decides to make the offering himself.

"You acted foolishly," Samuel said. "You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the Lord's command." (NIV)

That really struck me. I didn't understand why Samuel and God were so mad that Saul made a burnt offering. Samuel was the one that didn't show up on time.

I am such a timely person that when people don't meet the right schedule, I have a hard time adapting. I tend to move on quicker than I probably should, not giving people enough leeway and grace in that area.

My Zondervan NIV Study Bible note said, "The foolish and sinful aspect of Saul's act was that he thought he could strengthen Israel's chances against the Philistines while disregarding the instruction of the Lord's prophet Samuel."

Then I understood. And I understood that is exactly what I tend to do in life.

When things don't go the way I plan them out, I will go ahead and do what I think is right in my own timing. I expect my actions to work out with God's blessing too, even though I haven't waited for him.

I guess I need to wait on the Lord a little, lot, more.

No comments:

Post a Comment