Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Solid rock

I remembered a story that my mom told me last time we were together, and I wanted to share it with you. I'll try to get it as accurately as I can remember!

A pastor stood in front of his congregation one Sunday, a large jar at his feet.

He picked up a big rock and wrangled it into the jar, seeming to take up all the space there was.

However, he then took some smaller rocks and poured them into the jar, filling up every crevice around the larger rock.

The pastor took a cup of sand and poured it over the rocks, and the smaller pieces of rock and dirt disappeared into the jar.

Just when the congregation didn't think anything else could possibly fit inside the jar, the pastor poured in a cup of water.

He then looked at his flock and asked them what they thought the meaning of this exercise was. People began to shout out answers - you can always fit in something else, you just have to keep trying.

The pastor shook his head. In order to get in all the small things, you have to put the solid rock in first.

No comments:

Post a Comment