Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Saying good-bye

Saying good-bye stinks.

It used to stink a whole lot worse.

When Nate and I had a long-distance relationship, a lovely four years worth, we had to say good-bye a lot. When he was in Cedar Falls and I was in Orange City, I remember tears streaming down my face whenever I would drive home from visiting him. It was an awful moment when you last put your arms around each other or kiss each other. It's like you're missing part of yourself.

It's never fun to say good-bye.

I have friends who have loved ones gone to war, a horrible good-bye I am sure. I've had people I know lose loved ones recently; I lost my aunt in May.

Whether it's for a short time or a long time, good-bye is not easy.

So let's start treasuring the hellos.

Instead of picking on the little moments that frustrate us when we're together - he left his plate by the couch, she nags me while I watch TV - enjoy the time you have together.

God has blessed us with each other, with people whom we love and people who love us. He has blessed us with time on this Earth. Instead of complaining and nit-picking I think we need to realize time is short, and people are important.

Cherish the time you have together. So when you do have to say good-bye, you know that the time you had together was well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment