Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Take nothing with you

"Take nothing for the journey - no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic." - Luke 9:3

I read this passage last night and was amazed at this command. I don't know about you, but when I pack for a trip I bring multiple pairs of shoes, pajamas, a few pairs of jeans, casual and nice outfits, extras in case I spill something - and that's just for a weekend away.

Jesus' disciples traveled around for years with him, and they didn't even know where they would get their next meal.

I wonder if they were scared. I wonder if they were worried that they didn't have a pack of supplies. I wonder if they felt guilty that they had to rely on others to take care of them. That's how I would feel if I weren't prepared for a trip.

But I'm not prepared now. I'm not prepared for where tomorrow will take me. I'm not prepared for what I have to give up to follow Christ every day. I do need others to take care of me, to support me through that journey. I guess that's how they felt.

However, when Christ commanded, they went. They had doubts and fears, but they went. That's a hard decision to make, and they did it in a split second, never looking back. I wonder what I would have done in their places. It's hard enough to follow now, what would it have been like then?

No comments:

Post a Comment