Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What could life be like?

How many blessings do we miss out on following our own way?

After my friend's wedding, my parents and I were holding our own church service in our hotel room before heading back home. We discussed a New Testament package talking about what Esau missed out in his life when he gave up his birthright.

I have also read pieces by Joyce Meyer about how we often wish things were different and ask God to bless us in areas that we don't deserve blessings in.

I want work to go easily and to be successful, however, am I really putting forth all the effort I should be? Am I stealing five minutes on my schedule here and there?

God isn't going to bless us in areas where we aren't right with him. It's like rewarding your kids when they do something wrong. If your kids are doing well at school, sure, let them put off homework for an hour while they watch their favorite show on TV. However, if they're breaking curfew, you're not going to let them stay out another two hours to go to a late movie.

God is the same way. I don't think sinning means that we aren't going to receive blessings. Like Esau, we have a special birthright. We are children of God. With that comes special privileges, and God will bless us. However, if we intentionally do wrong, we are going to miss out on our birthright, our special privileges, our blessings.

What in your life is standing in your way? The blessings that we want might not be what God wants to give us, but we also might be missing out on what God wants to give us, because we are doing what we want.

It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment